MAB Community Services acts and urges others to contact Congress.
Hands Off the Americans with Disabilities Act!
U.S. House of representatives is considering a bill (H.R. 620) that would significantly weaken the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and its protections for individuals with disabilities. H.R. 620 would make it harder for a person with a disability to access their rights under this 28-year-old civil rights law.
The bipartisan Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibited the discrimination of individuals with disabilities in most aspects of American life. The ADA struck a careful balance between the civil rights of individuals with disabilities and the practical needs of businesses, requiring only those modifications that did not result in an undue burden to an existing business. The law took the prospective approach of requiring equal access to businesses that were opened after the ADA became law in 1990.
Twenty-eight years is enough time for a business to know its obligations under the ADA. Building codes and state licensing requirements have been shaped to help businesses know what to do. Unfortunately, H.R. 620 ignores the bipartisan compromise that has been working for the past 28 years. H.R. 620 creates new, unnecessary burdens for a person with a disability to meet before filing a complaint against a business who has yet to comply with the 1990 law.
The House of Representatives’ Judiciary Committee approved H.R. 620 on Thursday, September 7, 2017 and now awaits action in the U.S. House.
Don’t let Congress mess with the ADA!
What can you DO?
- Friday, February 9 through Monday, February 12, send EMAILS urging members of the House to VOTE NO on H.R. 620. Contacting Congress provides links to email your Representative directly;
- Monday, February 12 is “Save the ADA” CALL IN DAY. Pick up the phone and call your representative! Tell them to VOTE NO on H.R. 620;
- Tuesday, February 13, attention shifts to SOCIAL MEDIA (Twitter, Facebook, etc.). Please post your opposition to HR 620 all day long. See Contacting Congress for how. On Twitter, the hashtags we’re using are: #HandsOffMyADA, #StopHR620, and #CripTheVote.
- Write a letter AT ANY TIME opposing H.R. 620 to all House offices (see how to send below);
- On the day of the vote (likely Wednesday or Thursday), please CALL and TWEET all day and tell members of the House to VOTE NO and Stop H.R. 620!
Write your representative online, go to https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative and enter your zip code. From there, click on the envelope under your representative’s photo.
For a list of additional resources including Talking Points, sample tweets, action alert templates, phone scripts, graphics for social media, etc. go to: https://dredf.org/hr620/ or download the CCD Toolkit.